Re: Providing Proxy support for Gdict. Need inputs.

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 01:06, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> a) Provide HTTP proxy support. But the server dict.org at port
>    2628 is not recognising HTTP commands. So http proxy
>    support is ruled out.

Probably pretty unlikely for most proxies these days, but you could
perhaps tunnel through using the CONNECT command on an HTTP proxy.

> b) The other alternative left is providing SOCKS proxy support.
>    I can think of two problems with this. One problem is for
>    socksification, user needs to use socks library, which is not
>    free software. Another problem is many users may not have
>    access to a SOCKS proxy.

There are plenty of free implementations of SOCKS.  I know that Soup has
one, and I am pretty sure GNet as well.  And even if you couldn't use
one of those for some reason, you can get docs for the SOCKS proxy off
of Google and roll your own... it's a very easy protocol.  (Although not
for 2.0.0, certainly.)

Joe