Re: gnome cvs on RH7.3

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 03:29, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 03:03:16AM +0100, mike wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 00:40, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> [..]
> > > If you can give more specifics about what is going wrong, I might be
> > > able to help further.
> [..]
> > full error log follows
> (I've chopped all but the relevant bits.)
> [...]
> > You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
> > `aclocal.m4'.Running aclocal -I
> > /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/gnome2-macros  ...
> > aclocal: /usr/share/aclocal/ccstdc.m4: 23: duplicated macro
> > `AM_PROG_CC_STDC'
>
> This indicates that your autotools setup is picking up duplicate .m4
> files during the build. Since it appears from later in these messages
> that you are using automake 1.5, then you need to look at your install
> of that. You have upgraded automake at some point, since Red Hat 7.3
> comes with automake-1.4 as 'automake' (you can also have automake-1.5
> installed from the release, but it's called just automake-1.5). This
> (1.4) is also the recommended automake for building GNOME 2. Although it
> should probably build with later versions, there are no guarantees
> (people like James Henstridge sometimes make commits to keep the
> compatibility up).
>
> So the next bunch of error messages are all related. Maybe you've set
> ACLOCAL_FLAGS, or whetever that environment variable is called
> incorrectly, I don't know for sure. I haven't installed both -1.4 and
> -1.5 on the same system to experiment (since unwinding problems like
> that are pretty hairy).
>
> > [root localhost nautilus]# rm -rf /usr/bin/automake
> > [root localhost nautilus]# ln -s /usr/bin/automake-1. /usr/bin/automake
> > automake-1.4  automake-1.5
>
> Yeargh! What are you doing here?? My earlier tip was based on the
> assumption that you were using automake-1.4 and that you were probably
> using something like vicious-build-scripts or jhbuild or whatever.
>
> Nuking /usr/bin/automake seems a bit drastic, even though it is only a
> symlink. And I don't think you'll be able to get away with pretending
> that automake-1.5 is called automake-1.4 for long without things blowing
> up.
>
> The remaining errors are still automake errors.
>
> > BTW - have never had anything like these problems with any previous
> > version of RH - debian is looking more and more attractive
>
> Well, not screwing with your system at random is probably an attractive
> option, too. Please don't sink to the point of disparaging a
> distribution because some modification you made didn't "just work".
>
> If you want to build GNOME 2 from scratch and you can't resolve those
> automake problems, then grab one of the sandboxing scripts that are
> around which do the build for you (jhbuild, vicious-build-scripts, etc).
> They all let you customise where to put things and will set things up so
> [...]

just to clarify

the error log is identical if

1. I dont touch the automake/autoconf installation
2. I modify symlink as per bug 8442

I have a functioning gnome2 (except for nautilus which has been knocked
out by an update which I am tracking  down)

Building from released packages works - just not cvs

Up to about 2 weeks ago when I was running roswell (beta 2 for 7.2)
everything just worked