Re: resetting prefs

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 04:45:32PM -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> gnome-login-check does rm -rf ~/.gnome2 if you hold down Ctrl+Shift and
> choose "reset settings".

Ugly!!! We aren't windows! Could someone at least change this to a rename?

IMHO We need good bug reports for problems not the pseudo solution reinstall
gnome (rm -rf ~/.gnome2 is the UNIX equivalent of it, isn't it?).
Give people at least some way make good bug reports. Yes we would have to tell
the user the name of the renamed directory then, but just making it an non dot
file (eg. saved_gnome_settings%u) might be enough too.

See http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-May/msg00114.html
for a suggestion to debug such problems.

> however, it doesn't nuke ~/.gconf, or ~/.gnome.  do we want to add
> these?

It might be use full to rename these too. But on the other hand they are shared
at least with gnome 1.x and potentially(gconf) with other stuff too.