Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

On 28 Jun 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 11:42, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>

> I agree that people think spacially. My point is that all of these
> special directories double the funcitionality of Applications:// so why
> not have one directory with subdirectories, rather than 6 totally
> unconnected locations. preferences are included in Applications,
> system-setting are all there as well, etc.
>
> If necessary put an applications directory launcher on the desktop.
> Having a hierarchy is nice since you can do things like use the up
> arrow. This confused the hell out of me when i first started using
> redhat 7.2 (shortly after I started using linux), because these
> directories appear to be folders in start-here but are not. I,  being a
> complete newbie to gnome at the time, found this very confusing (filed a
> ton of bugs cuz i didn't understand what was going on).

I agree that having the up arrow work would be nice. It seems that is
basically all you want?

> Another problems with start-here:, system-settings and server-settings
> is that other than root, all other users can't edit these directories
> since they just redirect to hardcoded locations.

You can't edit the control panel in windows either (i think at least). I
don't think this is especially bad. If the sysadmin want's to change them,
it's very simple. Just change the directories. I don't think letting you
edit everything in the ui like that is at all important.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American pirate librarian on the hunt for the last specimen of a
great and near-mythical creature. She's a pregnant cat-loving Hell's Angel
with a song in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!