Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 13:41, Bruce Robert Pocock wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 13:22, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > > I see no reason why we should move that layout into other places. It
> > > doesn't make sense to expose to the user that everything
> > > implementation-wise is a seperate application, nor to force the user to
> > > think of it like that.
> >
> > Exactly. And i think we should actually move them up a level in the gnome
> > menu too.
>
> Seconded... From a migration (from MacOS, Win32, ...) perspective, it's
> doubly bad; in none of (MacOS 1..10, Windows) is a control panel a
> "normal" executable, they're always something "magic." (CDEV, OSX
> "capplets" (don't know the Apple word for this one), and CPL=DLL with
> special hooks for Win16/Win32)...

Er. How many users actually know how these things are technically
implemented? Actually, in MacOS 7, 8 and 9 control panels sure looked
like normal applications. You could drag them around, run them like
normal applications, etc. I think they even showed up in the "Recent
applications" menu. In Windows they are presented very much like a
normal application too, though from a slightly different part of the
Start Menu. Technical implementation really doesn't matter here. I
didn't even know control panels in Windows were implemented using DLLs,
it just doesn't matter to the user.

-Seth