Re: panel gconf changes

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 10:59, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> We need a policy on schema changes post-stable-release. I believe that
> policy (from a high level) is essentially:

Since it seems like needing to extend a key will be a fairly common
task, maybe it would be possible to implement this in gconf .schema
files? As in (making up syntax here)

<key name="foo_2" extends="foo">

Will cause gconf to automatically initialize foo_2 to the value of foo
if the former is unset, and mirror changes in the new key to the old
one, tho I can see trouble figuring out if/when this is possible. Then
maybe a smart gconf editor could also somehow use this knowledge to not
display the key foo when foo_2 is also present.

Peter

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton