Re: Accessibility and CSS [was: Changing Yelp to use GtkHtml1 instead of GtkHtml2]

tis 2002-05-07 klockan 16.32 skrev Bill Haneman:

Thank you Bill for explaining this.

> (1) It must respect system themes, in this case GTK+ RC-file themes when
> using the default engine.  That means that all test attribution like
> sizes must be relative to/with respect to the GTK+ default font.  Sander
> has been looking at doing this with stylesheets and I have agreed to
> prepare patches for gtkhtml2 to make its base text rendering sizes use
> the GTK+ RC-file font.

This sounds great!

> (2) It must support keyboard navigation, provide visible indication of
> focus on screen, and be fully usable in mouseless mode.
>
> (3) It must support ATK interfaces, in particular AtkText and AtkImage,
> and AtkTable (if frames are used).
>
> I believe that gtkhtml2 has significant support for (2) and (3) at this
> time and Sander and I are working on (1).  It's not clear that we can
> meet all of these requirements with gtkhtml1 in the 2.0 timeframe, so
> from an accessibility perspective I would argue strenuously against a
> change unless the gtkhtml1 team can commit to meeting these needs ASAP.

I agree with you that from a accessibility standpoint a move from
gtkhtml2 to gtkhtml1 is a bad idea. And since that is one of the main
focuses of GNOME 2.0 I think the best idea is to continue to use
Gtkhtml2 (and pray that someone sees the call for help in the last GNOME
Summary and starts maintaining it).

I'll try to be better on filing bugs I notice in it to help an eventual
hacker to start fixing it so that we don't have the current crash every
fifth time used in GNOME 2.0 :)

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/