Re: Question about menus in GNOME 2.x releases

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 14:15, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> > Yes. I hope they actually follow the GNOME 2 HIG and call the menu item
> > "GIMP Image Editor" rather than just "The GIMP".
>
> Most likely the HIG recommendation should be:
>
>  Name=GIMP
>  GenericName=Image Editor
>  Comment=Modify and create images
>
> Then the combined "GIMP - Image Editor" should be done by the panel.

Yes, I didn't know about the GenericName ability until recently. I'll be
changing the HIG to reflect this. We really should make up a long list
of suggested Generic Names so that apps that are basically in the same
general category end up picking the same name. That would be a good
thing to work on in the (largely) UI frozen lull between GNOME 2.0.x and
2.1. We also need a more complete list of Categories, since I've already
invented a few that weren't in George's spec proposal and I'm sure there
are lots more.

-Seth