Re: UI/String Review - Day 1

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 14:16, Calum Benson wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > Erms... hello?? :) The most destructive options should NEVER be the
> > default action!
> I would argue that rule doesn't really apply to confirmation dialogs,
> though-- popping up the confirmation dialog itself is the
> 'non-destructive default action' in this case.

How many people just press enter without really reading, just so the
scary dialog will get away?

> > Plus, the user can set the option of not showing the
> > confirm dialog, so that's one more reason to not set the most
> > destructive option as the default.
>
> If the user chooses to switch off confirmation dialogs then they have
> essentially indicated their desire to fly without a safety net.  I don't
> think we should penalise other users just because this category of
> superheroes exists :)

You're confusing what I said.
I said that the dialog should not have the most destructive option set
as default.

If an user does not wish to be asked or to loose time being asked, he
can always make that dialog never show up.

It's a general rule to never default to the most destructive action,
whatever you do: driving cars, shopping, designing dialogs, etc.

Cheers,
+ So let's do it...?