Re: gconf vs. gnome-vfs for default web browser

On 16May2002 09:20PM (-0700), Seth Nickell wrote:

> That was the issue. Its sort of screwy. For stuff like http: it would
> work fine to detect the type and choose an app based on that.
>
> But...
>
> Its not clear what should be done for mailto:, telnet: and the like,
> where there's not a "file type" per se.

I think gnome-vfs application and file type database already lets apps
specify whether they can open URIs, and if so what URI schemes they
understand, but this is assumed to be in combination with a MIME
type. The missing part is claiming a URI scheme regardless of the type
(or whether there even is one), and setting a default and preferred
list for such a URI scheme.

Someone flesh out the details at some point, but there probably isn't
time to do anything here for GNOME 2.

 -Maciej