Re: patch to esound to use ARts (KDE sound subsystem) if it's running

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>  Hi!
>
> > > noticable delay in sound playback of course. If no ARts was started for
> > > current user when ESD was started, the sound will be passing only through one
> > > sound server (esd) - as it always was before applying the patch.
> > >

> > Is there a reason for esd dlopening arts lib not having libesd open it
> > instead ?
> >

>  I will ask the author about this, but the reasons could be of course not that
> compatible programming models of esd and arts (or probably there is no C API
> for arts that supports all functions needed for emulation) and (less likely)
> desire not to increase data segment of apps using libesd signtifically (by
> pages of libartsc and libs it depends upon).

 Just checked libarts C api - it's too simplistic (it's stream oriented, e.g.
there is no way to save a sample on server and then play it instantly when
it's needed).
 So it seems the only way that didn't require to extend arts C api (and
probably arts model and C++ API too) was to modify esd and hijack
audio streams that were going to hardware.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad