Re: patch to esound to use ARts (KDE sound subsystem) if it's running

On 19 May 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> Just wondering whats your opinion of mas
> (http://mediaapplicationserver.net/) since the gstreamer guys seem real
> interested in making it the sound server in gnome 2.2

If the implementation meets all the requirements in
x-audio-feature-specification_xorg-audio_1_3_std.pdf in a sane
implementation, it would make me very happy.

OTOH, using imake is a definite minus :) Also, some pieces of the web
site/docs seem to make it sound more like a media framework overlapping
gstreamer than just a sound device access abstraction/arbitration
mechanism. Things like MIDI and filter networks are best left in media
frameworks such as gstreamer - that's not what the sound server is for.

$0.02,
-- Elliot