Re: Menus and Gnome2

Applications => desktop preferences => toolbars and menus  has a
preference for turning on toolbar tearing off, there are gconf keys to
enable menubar tearing off, but you have to use gconf editor for this.
I'm not sure what the motivation of hiding menu tearing off was...

Maybe there should be a global preference to turn off tooltips.

dave