Re: [Fwd: Re: Message freeze in practice?]

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 17:09, Christian Rose wrote:
> tor 2002-05-23 klockan 20.17 skrev jacob berkman:
> > On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 01:39, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > Folks, it sounds like we're not doing a very good job of having the
> > > strings frozen.  What's going on here?
> >
> > the string freeze was done too early - we are still changing code too
> > much in fixing bugs.
>
> The first string freeze was February 18th. People then complained about
> it being too early, and that freeze was then lifted two and a half weeks
> later.
> The second string freeze was May 8th, more than two and a half months
> after the first one. And people claim that it's still too early?

if things like the mime editor aren't in place yet, then yes...

> > eg, this week i had to remove the custom bell part of keyboard
> > properties, since it was never implemented.  there was a label that
> > described all the functionality, so i had to change it to remove the
> > part about the custom bell.
>
> Of course bugs should be fixed, but bugs that affect user-visible
> strings should use the "string" keyword and brought to the mighty
> release team's attention before they are fixed (*).
>
> If they affect translatable strings, please also notify
> gnome-i18n gnome org after you got the approval from the release team
> and changed the strings in cvs. That way, translators immediately know
> when and what to update. This is not happening right now, it seems. At
> least not for the majority of string changes that are happening in cvs.

sorry, i missed this before.  will keep in mind for later.

> The result is that translators are still chasing a moving target and
> being continously left one step behind, never being able to complete
> GNOME2 translations, which makes the string freeze rather pointless.

fwiw developers are still chasing a moving target, too.

jacob
--
"don't get me wrong, i think that radiohead are amazing. i love their
 music and i love their ethos, but that thom yorke guy always seems to