What is the current status of mime issues

There is a tracking bug 75620 for this but I have one or two
questions as we are getting close to release

Default applications - was a decision reached on how this should be
dealt with

I know the capplet was ditched because it was not working, but some
way for the user to set it would be pretty much essential (esp
web/mail)

creating new mime-types - non-functional last I looked

BTW - is there a reason why the open with functionality in gmc was
ditched for nautilus, as this would certainly decrease the severity
of the problem