Re: GEP-2 Theme Sets (aka Metathemer)

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 02:22:09AM -0500, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> Code available at:
>   http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/gnome-theme-manager.diff
Bring it on.  Lets get something in place then debate the details.
This looks close enough to something most people are willing to
accept.

> I thought about having a separate gconf key for a 'metatheme' spec, but
> it just didn't make sense.  What does it mean when your metatheme key is
> 'thinice' but your gtk-theme key is 'metal'?  Consequentially,
> metathemes are implemented solely as a list of theme elements found in
> subdirectories of the theme path.  To this extent, I just made up a
> .desktop file format that includes all the elements of the theme.
And you chose define 'current theme' as the first thing where
everything matches ?  This could cause problems if some accidentally
installs the same theme with multiple names.  They select B and we
say 'ok thanks for selecting A'.

> This means that when you don't match any metatheme exactly, you're in an
> inbetween state.  I'm currently listing this in the UI as 'Currently
> modified',
'Custom' ?

> Anyway, I haven't checked the code in yet, as I'd like to run it by this
> list first.  Still, I think this is important to have, and will be
> spending this weekend the next week at work making sure it functions
> well.
I'd very much like to see this go in.