Re: running programs as root in gnome

The interface you mention is RedHat's console_helper system; it's *not*
GNOME's job to integrate something that low-level and system dependent
(just as it's not GNOME's job to provide an X server) - indeed, a few
distros seem to explicity refuce to support this package due to security
concerns (I've no clue how well justified those concerns are).

It should be up to your distro to configure this kind of security stuff,
anyways.

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 11:02, MArk Finlay wrote:
> The lack of a kdesu style program for the gnome desktop has been a pain
> for quite a while. But now I'm running redhat 8.0 which has a nice
> little dialog that asks you for a root password.
>
> Does anyone know if this dialog/program is going to get merged upstream?
> It would make an excellent addition to the Gnome 2.2 or 2.4 desktop.
>
> Does it rely on any redhat deamons or anything nasty like that?
>
> Also is there a way to access it from the command line?
>
> Later
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.