Launchers not showing in application menu when installed

Hi, I am working on a project (GObject Factory) that installs an icon
and .desktop file to the correct places (<prefix>/share/pixmaps and
<prefix>/share/applications).  The application launcher show up
correctly in the "applications:///Programming" vfolder in nautilus yet
it does not show up in the menu unless I log out and log in again.  The
applications I get from gnome cvs don't seem to have this problem.  Is
there a way to signal the menu to reload during make install?

--
J5