Re: GNOME Menu (was: Re: [Usability]Re: UI Review Suggestions - Panel)

I also agree with Havoc's view that the GNOME Menu has lost meaning. There was
some justification at 1.4, when everything in the desktop was GNOME This or
GNOME That, but the trend is clearly towards a more subtle desktop, a more
understated, more refined desktop. A desktop that you could introduce to your
mother, rather than some hairy old GNOME.

I can't think of many alternatives that would better "Main Menu" as a
replacement. Havoc's brave suggestions of "Menu Button" and "Applications Menu"
have obvious drawbacks that I won't go into right now. Unless Eugene has a
blinding flash of inspiration, I reckon we should stick with "Main Menu". In
favor of "Main Menu" is that the term is already familar to desktop users, from
earlier incarnations.

Pat

P.S. One wee timorous suggestion: "Desktop Menu" perhaps? A bit too close to
"Desktop Background Menu".

> To: "Havoc Pennington" <hp redhat com>
> Cc: <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: GNOME Menu (was: Re: [Usability]Re: UI Review Suggestions -