Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 17:31, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 12:07, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Since when do we have reference platforms ?
>
> I seem to recall some discussion back pre-2.0 with regards to platforms
> we wanted to be sure we worked on before we released 2.0.  I think they
> were just generically Linux and Solaris.  I'd like to see 2.2 build and
> work out-of-the-box on those platforms at a minimum.

Yes, there was also making it work on PPC. I don't see many developers
actually taking the time to compile their programs on PPC to see if they
work. PPC users send them bug reports their way. I didn't see many bug
reports coming into bugzilla regarding breakage of GStreamer on Solaris.

<snip patronisation>

> > It might be a priority for Sun and Ximian (obviously) but I seem to
> > remember GNOME targetting "free" (libre) Unix-like systems, and the
> > actual support depending on the volunteers' work.
> >
> > If nobody with access to a Sun Solaris box does the job, it won't get to
> > work better by itself.
>
> I seem to recall us trying to get GNOME to build on all Unix-like
> systems, which is part of the reason why we don't use GCC extensions,
> don't depend on funky glibc features, etc.
>
> I definitely agree that someone needs to step up and do the work, but I
> think that all too often we tend to ignore non-Linux platforms when they
> account for a fair (if dwindling) number of our users.
>
> GNOME is largely platform independent, so why shouldn't we consider
> portability a legitimate concern for including something in the desktop?

Because putting the amount of work needed to port GStreamer to Solaris
and the amount of work needed to make GStreamer from scratch, the
balance is definitely going towards including GStreamer.

There aren't so many people who have access to Solaris boxes, and I'm
pretty sure that neither Sun nor Ximian are going to commit time to
porting GStreamer until it reaches the desktop platform. Well, there it
is, poke your managers to give you some time for this needed hacking.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault