Re: Mockup of the GNOME proxy dialog

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 00:14, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:33:19PM -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 12:53, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > > Also, is anyone with GNOME looking at implementing this?
> > >
> > >   http://www.zeroconf.org/
> >
> > I don't think configuring a proxy falls within zeroconf's domain.  I am
> > pretty sure that Rendezvous clients don't look for or advertise a proxy
> > service.  The point mainly of zeroconf is for link-local (ad-hoc)
> > networks, not for established networks.
>
> Ah, I don't know one way or another. Seeing part of network config
> mentioned reminded me of Rendezvous, so I just tacked on the question.

On the topic of Zeroconf and Rendezvouz. I know that Julian Missig is
looking into using the rendezvous stuff released by Apple to give Gabber
the same functionality as iChat. I guess adopting the released
Rendezvous code by GNOME proper however would run us into a lot of
licensing issues. I have also heard that people are not that impressed
about the dhcp stuff apple has done as part of rendesvouz and which are
not part of zeroconf.

Also I have mailed a little with Erik Guttman (Erik Guttman Sun COM) who
is co-chairing the zeroconf working group. Sun is looking into using
zeroconf for some server config stuff apparently, but atm has no
concrete desktop plans. But if anyone in the GNOME community plans on
implementing zeroconf maybe contacting Erik would be an idea.

Christian