Re: Visual bell

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:30:14PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I attach a small C program that implements #1 above, as a standalone
> > program.  I tried doing this in GTK+/GDK, so that I could make a
> > Metacity patch, but it appears that GTK+ keeps XKB events to itself, by
> > and large, and thus they are not available to a GdkFilterFunc (see
> > gdkevents-x11.c).  Perhaps you and Owen could agree to a small GDK patch
> > that would propagate XKB events to filter-clients, in which case you
> > could trap them in Metacity's filterfunc.  Otherwise, you will have to
> > open your own connection to the XServer :-(
>
> It looks OK to me? Owen was this changed in 2.1.x or something?

huh?

gtk filter functions work smoothly with XKB events in 2.0 and 2.1.
That is what we use in the gnome-settings-daemon.  You do need to do
a touch of X magic to find the event id for the extension, but the
amount of code is pretty trivial and easily compartmentalized.  The
only other ugliness is the 2 fold checking that
    - you can compile the Xkb code
    - the user's server supports it.  Note that the majority of Sun
      users have massively broken XKB implementations, so this is
      not a corner case to be ignored.