Re: Gnome 2.0.1 compiling problems

> But... I have some trouble compiling gnome 2.0.1. If this is not the right
> list for this sort of messages, I apologise in advance...

It's probably not, but what the hey ;)

> Here are the problems I've had.

You forgot to mention essential details like
* what distro are you running ? (If it's LFS, don't try to cover that fact
  up)
* what machine ?
* what compiler ?
* what are you compiling from ?
* are you experienced ?

> While compiling...
>
> GDM:
> ve-misc.c
> ve-misc.c: In function `ve_locale_exists':
> ve-misc.c:375: warning: implicit declaration of function `setlocale'
> ve-misc.c:375: `LC_ALL' undeclared (first use in this function)
> ve-misc.c:375: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> ve-misc.c:375: for each function it appears in.)
> ve-misc.c:375: warning: passing arg 1 of `g_strdup' makes pointer from
> integer without a cast
> ve-misc.c:376: `LC_MESSAGES' undeclared (first use in this function)
> ve-misc.c:376: warning: comparison between pointer and integer

either you don't have glibc development files installed (notably, the
langinfo.h or something equivalent), or ve-misc forgot to include it.
You can check both cases yourself and let us know if ve-misc.c doesn't
include it.

> GNOME-PRINT:
> ../libgnomeprint/.libs/libgnomeprint-2.so: undefined reference to `deflate'
> ../libgnomeprint/.libs/libgnomeprint-2.so: undefined reference to
> `deflateInit_'../libgnomeprint/.libs/libgnomeprint-2.so: undefined
> reference to `deflateEnd'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [generate] Error 1

deflate and deflateEnd should be defined in zlib.  Check if
libgnomeprint's configure was able to pick up libz and you have the zlib
development stuff installed.

> yelp-window.c: In function `window_populate':
> yelp-window.c:265: `gettext' undeclared (first use in this function)
> yelp-window.c:265: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> yelp-window.c:265: for each function it appears in.)
> make[2]: *** [yelp-window.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/gnome-2.0.1/yelp-1.0.4/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/gnome-2.0.1/yelp-1.0.4'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

same issue as the first, you might not have libintl.h installed from
glibc-devel.

gnome hackers, any idea why configure isn't checking this ? If it really
isn't, I'm willing to add these checks in.

> SAWFISH:
>
> Well... sawfish compiles, but I don't get the "configuration applet" and I
> am not quire sure how to configure it.
> I was wondering if maybe this was the problem:
>
> configure: WARNING: Can't load rep's libglade wrapper, not building themer
> checking for rep-gtk GNOME wrappers... no
> configure: WARNING: Can't load rep's gnome wrappers
> checking for malloc_get_state... yes

That looks easy, you don't have rep-gtk installed ;)

Thomas

Will you take me for a ride
The one that never ends
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->