ACTION GEP 2: New "Meta" Theme Capplet

Dear desktop-devel-list, Bill,
     I just found GEP2 the other day; a few comments:

1) I support the proprosal.

2) I really appreciate the acknowledgement and consideration of
cross-desktop interoperability.  I wear several other hats, including a
"KDE Accessibility" hat (I started the KDE Accessibility Project,
http://accessibility.kde.org), so I'm grateful for the thoughtfullness.

Quoting GEP2 section 4.2:

<quote>

On some platforms there is a single dominant UI toolkit across
virtually all applications; this is not true of GNOME, where gtk+-based
applications share the desktop with applications which provide their
own toolkits such as Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, and other toolkits such
as Java, KDE, etc. While this proposal will not solve all of these
interoperability issues, creation of a 'meta' grouping mechanism for
heterogeneous properties opens a new set of possibilities for solution,
including application-specific look-and-feel gconf keys and,
potentially, integration of additional back-end support for
applications and toolkits which use non-gconf mechanisms for their own
"theming". (While standardization of theming mechanisms across the
GNOME desktop is the ideal, it is unlikely that all applications which
can interoperate on the GNOME desktop will adopt a single theme
mechanism in the near-term). The initial scope of this project is
expected to be restricted to groupings of gconf keys."

</quote>

Indeed, it is unlikely that one theming mechanism will emerge for all
desktops anytime soon, but this is a great start and allows me to go
back to the KDE Accessibility Project and KDE developers, point them
towards this proposal, and start a discussion about doing something
similar on KDE.  I look forward to future interoperability discussions.

Bill, thank you for your work as always.

Thanks to all of the other responsible persons.

Best,

--JP Schnapper-Casteras

=====
-