Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:42:50 +0100 (IST)
From: Alan Horkan <horkana tcd ie>
To: Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
Subject: Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2002-September/msg00124.html
>
> IMHO, it would be very nice to have SMIL support, but I really don't
> think we should block able-bodied users from using all of the formats
> that /are/ supported just because none of the libraries available to us
> available libraries support SMIL.

Although this is pretty much covered by the previous thread i posted
offlist and was told i should post my humble opinion anyway.

Smile is also a really nice and easy way to put together a simple XML
based playlist.  The RealOne player and the Quicktime player support
Smile. (MS use ASX and html Time or somesuch).

A subset of Smile support for this purpose might be a small managable
short term target.  Better to recommend and encourage the use of a
standard such as Smile than having to deal with adhoc playlist formats (or
Microsoft ASX, or the Winamp3 XML playlists, or ...)

Just another reason why SMIL support will be good for all users.
Accessibility tools are invariably good for everyone.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
Dublin Ireland

SMIL