Re: On DVD, GStreamer & SMIL

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:45, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> A few points for the ongoing discussion.
> As other have pointed out GStreamer is plugin based and if distributors
> feel plugin X is legally shaky they can just skip shipping it. In some
> extreme cases that could leave us with few supported formats, but
> judging by what distros have done up to this point I think it will me we
> support everything but DVD. At that point my guess is that people will

And mp3 compression for most of the commercial distros, and mp3 playback
for some of them (depending on how their lawyers see it).

> start offering the DVD plugin for download so that interested people can
> get it.

I already said that about the lame plugin. The DVD plugin only depends
on libdvdnav, which doesn't contain any DeCSS code. Libdvdread dlopen's
the libdvdcss, so the DVD plugin is actually already safe to distribute,
along with the dependencies.

<snip>

--
/Bastien Nocera