Re: Progress bar on startup

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 16:38, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> When I log in for the first time, I find that most of my time is loading
> libraries[1] from disk.  The splash screen pops up, and sits for a while
> without actually updating anything.  It then rushes through all icons
> almost immediately, then pops down.  Half of the icons are the
> question-mark anyway, as they aren't listed in progress code.  Logging
> out and back in immediately leads to a fully logged in state almost
> immediately.
>
> Given that machines are getting faster, and GNOME is getting much
> quicker to start up, what do people think of getting rid of the progress
> indicator?  It doesn't really show any useful information right now.
> Alternately, we could try to delay the registering with the session
> manager until we're fully realized, which will delay the icon by a
> little.  I can also add a sleep (5) to the settings daemon too. (-:
>
> Any thoughts?  Anyone mind if I write up a patch to remove this
> functionality?

At the very least, the text at the bottom should be removed.  Seeing
"Starting magicdev" isn't the least bit interesting to the user.
Replacing the icons with some sort of "busy" indicator seems like a good
idea as well.

Having said that, I think that simply taking the splash screen away
altogether would somehow "feel" weird.  Maybe we should try removing it
and see what it's like?  Perhaps it would be ok.

Cheers,
   Brent