Re: metacity, vte

> > It may perhaps be more fruitful to the users to create a WM that works
> > for everyone, instead of saying "if you have these needs use Foo, or
> > these needs use Bar."  There shouldn't be any compelling reason to
> > change WM's.  Those that just want to be l337 can be 'elite' and use the
> > command line (or hell, gconf-editor if they're pansies and the
> > window_manager key works) to change it.  So far as *I'm* concerned,
> > Metacity is it.  For others, the ones that aren't just complaining about
> > the lack of "useless overkill l337 feature X", it would be a better use
> > of time to just fix Metacity, instead of worrying how to let users pick
> > between multiple broken WM's.
>
> But it seems that Havoc isn't willing to do that with metacity (which is
> his decision, his aim is to stop so called crackrock). So metacity will
> never have all the features some people like, even if they are useful and
> not just patches for bad design.

I personally don't think that it's so much having "all" the features,
but it would be nice to have the 'default' WM for gome be able to do
simple things like honor xmms's "sticky" tag.  I can definately see that
this could be a sticking point for users, as they turn on common-option
'foo' and it doesn't work, and have to search or be told by support that
'oh, that doesn't work, you have to use workaround bar'.  I realize that
workaround bar works, but it would be nice if the sticky hint (or option
foo, or whatever) just worked, at least for the "standard" options.  No
discrespect to Havoc of course, MC is awsome and sweet, and I will be
justified in bitching when I can write as nice a piece of software, but
util MC can do some simple things, I as a quasi-power user, can't use
it.

My $0.02CND

alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I