Re: the keyboard accessibility capplet

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 08:14:06PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Presumably this refers to the global enable/disable toggle. But that
> doesn't help anyone; because enabling it the first time doesn't _do_
> anything, as all the sub-checks are disabled. The global toggle here
> just slows things down.

It does do something.  It enables key handling to enable disable the
other features in ways that do not require the capplet.

> The global toggle isn't even clearly associated with the
> group of things it affects.
It used to be in a frame containing the other features which if I
recall you previously objected to.

> How about losing some of the complexity from the dialog so you have
> room to spell it out. ;-)
which of the complexity.
- Remove the sliders ?  Seems like a bad idea in that most of us
  prefer sliders to spinners.
- Remove the global button ?  See above.
- remove the import or lauch keyboard buttons ?  Ok.  These are
  debatable, but I don't see them buying us any space.

> If we have meaningful exact numbers that users want to set, we should
> just use spinners _only_. Or use sliders with the draw_value thing
> turned on, and with enough length to allow fairly precise
> configuration.
I disagree.  Sliders with value thingy take up exactly the same
amount of space as the slider spinner combo with less utility.
Spinners are useful for some users and sliders for others.  This is
not a 1 size fits all area.

> > CDE-specific.  I am not 100% sure at the moment but I believe that CDE
> > copied the exact file format used for persisting AccessX settings from
> > other, previously-existing GUIs.  However, I think this may be a good
> > candidate for a popup dialog, like this:
> >
> > 1. when you start the Keyboard-Accessibility capplet, it looks for
> > preexisting AccessX files in the home directory;
> >
> > 2. if it finds one, it pops up a dialog letting the user know this, and
> > asking if the user wants to import the settings.  It could include the
> > classic "don't ask me again" checkbox.
> >
> > This would seem more like the rest of GNOME in terms of user migration
> > strategies.  What do you think?
>
> That would be perfect, and a big improvement.

Seems reasonable.  Do we have consensus on this one ?  If so I'll
make the change.  It will involve schema and string changes, so this
would be a 2.2 change.