Re: How to determine the gnome environment

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:13:30 +1000
> From: Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: How to determine the gnome environment
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 06:46:48PM +0800, Yuedong Du wrote:
> > Who know how determine if the user is using gnome 2 environment ?
> > I want to integrate a application into gnome, but how can I know gnome
> > exist on user's machine?
>
> This is becoming an FAQ.

> What you need to do is work out which libraries in the GNOME hierarchy
> you rely on and test for those. As a general rule, testing if they have
> libgnomeui-2.0 available should be sufficient (since that requires
> libbonobo, libgnome, gtk+, atk, pango, ....).

This sounds far more like what to do at compile time and whether to build
a gkt or gnome version.

I got the impression that he wanted to detect at run time if the user was
using the Gnome Desktop and if not possibly make some effort to use a
diffent look and feel so as to better blend in with the desktop.  (i would
check the value of the .wm file but that is not a very rigourous check
and i know not many systems systems dont even use a .wm file).

I am totally misinterperting the problem?

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/