Re: that darned accessibility capplet

Hi Bill,

> > I'm not on this alias so please make sure your replies include my email
> > - earl johnson sun com
> >
> > This is re-run feedback from me but I think the capplet should be a
> > tabbed pane with 2 tabs - one tab for StickyKeys, MouseKeys, and
> > ToggleKeys; the other a keyboard response tab containing RepeatKeys,
> > BounceKeys, and SlowKeys. This sure would go a long way in reducing the
> > capplet's current clutter and make the interface easier to use (e.g.
> > the individual range setting controls wouldn't have to be so small).
>
> If you like it Earl, I certainly won't contradict you :-).
>
> The size issue is important for mouse users, but I always thought most
> accessX users were keyboarders?  Not that we want to ignore the
> keyboard-plus-mouse folks.  What do you think about the fact that this
> would require another keystroke (to change "notebook tabs") sometimes?
> (e.g. does size really matter?)
>
> ... more comments below....

Size is an issue for someone with lo vision or cognitive issues who
also needs these features. But setting aside the additional
disabilities or the "bigger benefits mouse users" points and
generalizing to any interface; my guess is tightly packed controls just
plain old make an interface harder for any user to understand and focus
on the task at hand (HI folks should be able to yay or nay this
guess). btw, for full disclosure I should say I'm one of those
keyboard-plus-mouse folks.

On the "adding a tab introduces yet another keystroke" point, I think
adding one is acceptable if the features in the tab pages have access
keys (which I think they do) - two key sequences to get to any feature
isn't a burden. And if we talk about keyboard navigating the old way
(i.e. tab-tab-tabbing) my guess is the overall number of keypresses
would decrease if they were split because all tabbable features would
be closer to the top of the page (i.e. there would be less things to
navigate to or thru).

Earl