Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

<quote who="Mikael Hallendal">

See: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.0/2.0.2/

> A user that runs a binary dist doesn't really care which version numbers
> the different packages has anyway. From what I understood from Frederic
> the version numbers where more for package maintainers so that they didn't
> get confused but I might be mistaken.
>
> Since far from all packages will be included in this scheme anyway I'm not
> sure how much help it'll be. And for example for Yelp it doesn't really
> make sense to bump the version from 1.X to 2.2 without any changes (does
> it?)

The point is to make the version numbers across the releases as clear as
possible, but without requiring anything inefficient or silly... Clarity for
both users and developers.

If there's no reason to make a release, there's no reason to update a
version number.

- Jeff

--
                    The Unix Way: Everything is a file.
                 The Linux Way: Everything is a filesystem.