Re: [Usability]Dealing with files in Gnome

> >> From the bug report, a proposal:
>
> "Remove Cut/Copy/Paste from the file operations.
> Add a Pick Up operation.
>   Using this on a file, selected files, or either in sequence
>   adds the file(s) to a list (or whatever data type)

Please keep in mind that adding names to a list might not be enough. On of the
biggest problems of the cut and paste stuff in the file-manager is that copy
doesn't copy the file. So the user *thinks* he can delete it and later use
paste. I think this general problem applies to Pick and Drop as well. I think
protection against deleting a picked file is important. Maybe Nautilus could
hold an file descriptor open for all picked files (Inux would ensure that the
files won't go away, either by umounting or deleteing). I think this protection
is more important to get the feature user ready than the wording (I think the
pick and drop stuff has advantages).
This isn't a problem just for non technical users, I've seen people that earn
their money with software development get caught by this!

Martin H.