Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 15:23, Julien Olivier wrote:

I gonna reply to your last 3 paragraphs here.

> We are both right but Nautilus just can't fit well for any of us because
> Nautilus developers seem to be a mix between you and me (well, that's how
> things sound at least).

> Anyway, I also think that the more efficient way to get things done the
> way YOU want them is to actually do them yourself. As I don't have time
> to help Nautilus development, I just say what I'd like to see but don't
> complain.

And that is the problem, the developers seem split between two corners and
it's hard to find a suitable solution for everyone. I fully agree here but
this is also a big negative issue to bring Nautilus seriously forward. I have
time and could help in Nautilus development but develop what ? As long as
there are no clear roadmaps and clear decisions what Nautilus should be, no
one is really interested to help. Fixing bugs is one issue but this still
doesn't bring it forward and having my own visions developed and the
contributed to Nautilus - and have it rejected afterwards is just a waste of
time. Even now people bring up the 'Nautilus should be OO issue again' and
whenever I read it I'm getting depressions and that's the reason why I am
using and pretty much prefering KDE these days because the things are exactly
done the way I would like GNOME to be and that's why I don't need to knock my
head off and wait until one day someone decides where and what GNOME actually
should become. I pretty much would like to know for what I gonna contribute
my work and what future direction it leads. This is a general problem in
GNOME, sorry to write it but I do write it here instead on other places so
you can be sure it's what I have to write.