Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Thursday 03 April 2003 11:07, Ross Burton wrote:
> 1) CUPS isn't ubiquitous. I doubt it even has 50% of the print server
> market on Unix systems

CUPS is pretty much OK now and now they have removed that raster2ps
(ps2raster) binary from it which was a forked ghostscript and not really
usable with ggv, kghostview and so on. The new CUPS uses the native
ghostscript now (still the eps version but that's ok) now you can combine
CUPS and ghostscript-eps seamless together and get cool results. The day I
heard about it was the day I removed the lpRNG and ApsFilter garbage and
replaced it with CUPS, no crappy configuration anymore, no pain nothing one
time setup up and it works perfectly. Even KDE supports a cool CUPS
integration which all sorts of options and things like preview and and and..
The new GNOMEPRINT supports CUPS too and adds 2-3 drivers for it as well. I
pretty much recommend the switch to CUPS better today than tomorrow.

Setup with CUPS over the Webinterface is pretty easy and takes less than 5
mins.

I know not long ago I was criticising CUPS but the development team seem to
have listened to their users and seamless integrated CUPS + Ghostscript +
Gimp-Print and so on and now it's ubercool.