Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Saturday 05 April 2003 17:08, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> > People still seem to ignore that Mozilla/Phoenix is no project which is
> > tied to GNOME development. I bet that the developers care less for GNOME
> > HIG compliance and go their own choosen way. I don't like the idea that
>
> I am wondering what is target auditory for Phoenix on Linux (if it is not
> GNOME). KDE users have Konqueror, and I doubt someone would switch from Konq
> to Phoenix just because o.5 release is out and "it is very promising".

I expected to get this kind of answer. No offense but you are making a big
mistake in the way you think. The whole Open Source movement doesn't turn
around GNOME my friend. Even if it's Open Source, you still have no rights to
go out and turn every application you find outside into some sort of GNOME
application. This is already happening and highly offending for me and other
users outside. You make a lot of 'new friends' if you (and I mean the whole
GNOME community by this) continue that way. There are a lot of people using
Open Source who are not necessarily friends of either KDE or GNOME and try to
use their System how's best for them. If you now start FORCING Phoenix to
become a native GNOME application then you will get a lot of complaining
users.

And from what I see currently on GNOME is - that many projects are hot for a
bunch of days and months and then left unmaintained and not really usable
after that. If I look at the current state of GNOME (and I don't like to lie
to you) then I have bad feelings about if this task (turning Phoenix into
GNOME) will not end the same way. And then one day we have a lot of half
finished stuff laying around on all sorts of places half maintained, half
usable and whatever. I think it's better to concentrate on GNOME with the
couple of remaining GNOME developers and make it become usable for users and
customers, this is already a hard task.

Yes Konqueror is indeed a KDE application but you shouldn't forget that they
stomped that project out of nothing than their own powers. And I haven't seen
one KDE developer yet who forced other important Open Source projects to
become a native KDE app or somrthing similar. They are doing their own things
in their own borders without trying to catch the hate of other people.
Whenever they need something in their Desktop they simply embedd it seamless
in their System or take the code and change it for their own needs without
influencing other things. I agree GNOME needs a native Webbrowser with native
Wigetset, HIGified and whatever and I do understand that Mozilla/Phoenix and
it's Gecko engine fits the needs but then it would be better to grab either
MRE or the engine itself, embedd it seamless into GNOME as some sort of
library and leave the mainproject Mozilla/Phoenix as is and let them do their
own thing.

I don't know if you understand what I try to explain you but I can guarantee
for sure that you will get a lot of hateful comments from people, the day you
start turning Phoenix into a native GNOME app in it's default source
repository.

Sorry for my not really diplomatic reply but I like to tell you what I think
about this without sounding like a hypocrite.