Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Sunday 06 April 2003 03:38, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > You know about the basics of networking I assume, you know that you are
> > able to set up various servers such as telnet, sentmail, ftp, pop3 and so
> > on, same for SQL that you can access over net. So SQL as KIOslave is
> > quite logical for me it only fills a gap and I can easily and query my
> > Universities database.
>
> No man, you're wrong.  SQL is a query language.  It's not a protocol.
> HTTP is, on the other hand, a protocol.  And the idea of protocol IO
> slaves is to implement *protocols* to transfer data streams in remote
> filesystems.  You're stretching the technology?

I know what SQL is and I haven't written that it is a protocol. Please read
what I wrote. I only mentioned that you can set up an SQL server and have it
accessed through the network and that it makes indeed sense to access it that
way. It makes more sense to have something like sql:// rather than burn:// or
applications://.

> > can you copy files to telnet://
>
> no

Actually you can, if your telnet client and remote offers protocols such as
zmodem, ymodem, kermit or hydra. I'm able to telnet to a BBS (amiexpress,
sigmaexpress)and download upload files. This is nothing new.

> What about phpMyAdmin?

Yes and ? There are a couple of hundert solutions for this kind of tasks and I
was refering to one that is seamless implemented into the system.

Exactly these kind of conversations are major blocker to get GNOME forward.
People still discuss wether this may be usable, confuse people, unfriendly
and whatever. The time for such conversations could be wisely spent into
DOING that implemention and have the enduser decide him-/herself wether it's
useful for him/her.