Re: keyboard layout

> gdm can also save a setting as default - when it does, that needs to
> be the same setting exposed in the control panel. i.e. in one place on
> the disk.
What do you mean? Interface language should be same as keyboard layout
settings? Man, you cannot be serious here. The people who want Russian
UI - they write in English (usually American layout), Russian, German,
French, ... Also, some Russian people prefer English (non-translated) UI
and still want to be able to use all these languages as well. So I
insist - UI language and keyboard settings are independant. There can be
some light correlation - but no more than that. I really hate when
people oversimplify things (which is a case for GNOME these days...)

Well, if it is not the thing you mentioned - I am ready to apologize for
my irrelevant speech:)

BTW, about per-application layout - a lot of Russians (and not only
them) love GSwitchIt for this feature (actually, it is really per-window
xkb group). They would simple kill me if I remove it. But this is an
option - so you can always turn it on/off.

--
Sergey