Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 02:07, Andrew Sobala wrote:
|  On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 21:12, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > KDE does it because KDE *can* deliver first-class browser.
|  > AFAIK, it's the best browser on the market, if you count both
|  > standards-compatibility and ability to render pages designed for MS IE.
|
|  Some anecdotal evidence: I've used Safari on a Mac, and there are some
|  pages that are _not_ rendered correctly. They are edge cases, although
|  it can occasionally make a site unusable. I have not come across any
|  pages Mozilla could not render for a long time.

Try any page designed with document.all DHTML model, and you will see the
difference.
To give an idea, most pages designed for MS IE4, and about 30% of pages
designed for MS IE5 would fail with Mozilla.

| khtml gives the
|  impression of being where mozilla was about 8 months ago.

Wrong.  Mozilla is ages behind KHTML.
It seems you just don't have any facts to support your words, and prefer to
give unsupported statements.

|  A lot of the Mozilla code is cludge to make IE-designed pages render
|  properly - khtml is not the only browser that has to do this.

Really?..  I have tried Mozilla 1.2, and haven't noticied something like this.
It can be that support for IE-designed pages was introduced in 1.3

|  > On the other hand, Mozilla team can't deliver good browser even after 5
|  > years of work.
|
|  Try www.mozilla.org :-)

And?... Very ugly site.
Try W3C CSS page, and you will see the difference between Mozilla and
Konqueror/KHTML.

|  > So, it's rather stupid to discuss wether GNOME should have Galeon or
|  > Epiphany.
|  > If you want nice GNOME - than GNOME *should not* have Gecko-based
|  > browser!
|
|  Apart from gecko is a good rendering engine, at least equal to khtml for
|  rendering complex web pages. (khtml may have an edge for simple webpages
|  in yelp/devhelp etc.)

Ok, may be Gecko catched up with KHTML in 1.3
But not for printing.
Try to print out any web page with fonts different from Arial/Times New Roman.
Mozilla even can't  embed fonts, not speaking about more advanced printing
features.

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net