Re: Multiple instances of applets

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 10:06, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:13:35AM +1200, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > 	It would be useful for the notification area ... I'm not sure what
> > happens when you add a new notification area applet ... but I think
> > it'll be fairly broken.
>
> It shouldn't be. If it is, then there's a bug in the applet. Because the
> notification area uses a protocol with an X selection manager, there can
> be only one at a time. If it loses the selection, it should at least
> disappear from the screen until it can regain it. It should only try to
> regain it when the existing owner window is destroyed. It would probably
> be better to just exit when the selection is lost and to not try to claim
> the selection when the selection is owned.

	Um, yeah. That's the point. Adding a second instance of a notification
area doesn't make sense because there can be only a single instance of
it per-screen. So ideally, we shouldn't allow a second instance of the
notification area on a screen or at least not have it doing anything.

	From the quick look I took last, I thought the notification area would
try an add any new status icon to both notification areas which would
have been very broken[1]. Looking again, I see that a second instance of
the notification area is always going to be just empty.

Good Luck,
Mark.

[1] - And I know you like talking about X protocols and stuff, but this
particular bit has nothing to do with the actual protocol ... just the
implementation of the applet.