Re: gnome-common problem

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

2003-02-18  James Henstridge  <james daa com au>

* autogen.sh (topdir): check to see if gnome-deprecated-macros.m4
       ended up in aclocal.m4, and warn if so.

Looks like with this commit --enable-compile-warnings has been added to
the default args passed to configure.
So GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS(error) in configure.in is no more enabling
WError by default.

I hope it's ok to post it here, there is not gnome-common module in
bugzilla.
The call to --enable-compiler-warnings was already there (I can see it in rev 1.20 of autogen.sh, which is the revision before my checkin).

I think the change that caused the problem was Mark's commit to compiler-warnings.m4:

    AC_ARG_ENABLE(compile-warnings,
-    [  --enable-compile-warnings=[no/minimum/yes/maximum/error]        Turn on
compiler warnings.], [enable_compile_warnings="$default_compile_warnings"], enable_compile_warnings=yes)
+    [  --enable-compile-warnings=[no/minimum/yes/maximum/error]        Turn on
compiler warnings.],, [enable_compile_warnings="$default_compile_warnings"])

The old behaviour was obviously wrong. It said that if you passed --enable-compile-warnings=something to configure, then enable_compile_warnings would be set to $default_compile_warnings. If you didn't pass the option to configure, it would be set to yes.

After the change, the flag acts like it is documented to. If you pass --enable-compile-warnings=something to configure, it will set enable_compile_warnings to "something". If you don't pass the argument, it sets it to $default_compile_warnings.

I don't think Mark's patch should be reverted though (it corrects a bug). So the question is whether the --enable-compile-warnings flag should be passed to configure by autogen.sh at all. I would lean towards removing it from the list of arguments.

Does anyone have any objections?

James.

--
Email: james daa com au