Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Hey,

> >   battfink - Energy saving and battery status utility.
>
> I'm not sure what this gives us beyond the capabilities of xscreensaver and
> the current battery applet (which I think is easier to read/use anyway). I
> guess a notification icon is a good idea, but... Hrm. Not sold on this yet.
>
> If it was included, what would happen to the current applet? Would we
> provide smooth session upgrade? Would the applet live on as a separate
> module?

I guess I can see where you're coming from - Battfink was originally
written for a demo, so probably is far from potential feature
completeness. I'm not convinced that we've solved the issue with a
mixture of xscreensaver and battstat applet - they certainly don't solve
it for me. I find the battstat preferences full of lots of really
useless options - I'm not entirely sure what you need to 'read' from it,
other than whether you battery is charged or not [1].

I'd like to see things merged into the idea of an 'Energy Saving'
preference dialog - it seems more natural to me.

> >   zenity - Provides graphical prompts and dialogues in shell scripts.
>
> I think that this is of little practical use to the 'greatest common factor'
> of GNOME Desktop users. Admins and advanced users can install it if they
> want it - a great candidate for geektoys or an admin tools release...
>
> GNOME 2.4 Resource Kit? ;-)

Yeah, I guess I'm willing to accept this - I don't use it myself. I just
felt bad when I was maintainer of gnome-utils with a totally broken
gdialog, decided to rewrite it, found that I wasn't very good at parsing
commandlines in C and came up with 'zenity'. I think it would be a nice
to have, considering we're facing a regression now that gdialog has died
for 2.4 [it was shipped in GNOME 2.2].

			[shrug].

				See ya,
					Glynn ;)

[1] I personally don't care all that much if my battery is 47% or 98%
for most of my laptop use.