Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 16:34, MArk Finlay wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 16:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Daniel Farrell">
> >
> > > Email
> > > Web Browsing
> > > Instant Messaging
> > > Audio playing(and video is catching up)
> >
> > (I pretty much agree.)
> >
> > > We should keep the basic desktop in plain view.  Are there any reasons
> > > Gaim shouldn't be including in the basic desktop?
> >
> > IMHO, Gaim does not integrate brilliantly with GNOME [1], and certainly
> > doesn't follow the HIG. I'm not sure the developers are willing to commit to
> > the goals of the GNOME Desktop release, either.
>
> I would have agreed with you and used to hate Gaim, but the new one is
> really nice and has a totally new UI.
>
> Also they are in the process of sepporating the UI and the backend code
> so we could use the backend at least in the desktop..

Yeah, I agree...  while still not a complete Gnome IM client, the new
0.60 and 0.61 are great.  Much improved.

I do agree with Jeff about depending on proprietary protocols.  Jabber
would be the one we could absolutely support.  Thanks Ross for pointing
out Gossip, I hadn't heard of it before.

I just thought it was weird that no one had mentioned Gaim.  It's one of
4 apps I use all the time:  Epiphany, Gaim, Evolution and net-rhythmbox.

Dan