Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

lör 2003-04-12 klockan 21.51 skrev Marius Andreiana:

> when it's started the first time, you click on accounts, add user and
> then choose protocol ( yes, AIM/ICQ is the default, but Jabber is in the
> list too, among Yahoo and others which many people use )

So, how do people feel about chaing this to default to jabber?

> In gaim 0.60 you don't have to do it anymore. Just select the protocol
> you want when adding account, the appropriate plugin will be loaded
> automatically.

Great!

> > Anyway, I really think we should use Jabber and either use Jabber
> > (through gateways in the Jabber protocol) against propriatary IM
> > protocols) or through plugins as in GAIM for the extra protocols.
>
> This depends on the user! Many have Yahoo, ICQ or other accounts
> already set. You can't tell them 'Welcome to Gnome! You'll be using
> Jabber from now as your IM protocol'

This is no different from Windows saying, "use MSN" or macos saying "use
AIM" (that's what they are using, right?

I'm not saying that people would have to use it. If we used the Jabber
gateway way of doing it, yes, they they would hav eto create an account.
But not if we used Gaim which defaulted to Jabber.

> I think Gaim is a much better choice than a 'not yet released gnome2
> jabber client'. Gaim works great, has smileys ( yes, it's important for
> desktop users ) and mutiple-protocol support.

I'm not proposing that we use Gossip over Gaim, I'm proposing that we
push for Jabber instead of pushing for some propiatary protocol that
might change and break our IM client.

(and we do have the smileys too :)
http://micke.hallendal.net/screenshots/Gossip-Yo.png

I really think it's important to show that we (GNOME) supports open
protocols over closed propriatary ones.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/