Re: new run dialog

Hi Jonathan,

> Wacky.  This makes me think our component stuff needs work, then.  I can
> imagine wanting this component viewer on a per-mime-type basis.  ie,
> load image files in nautilus, but pdf files in ggv.  I'm not totally
> sold on the need for this anyway especially in the absence of any
> generic component viewer out there.  I really want to be extremely
> conservative before adding more keys to gconf.

You still need it for an application that does not embed components
itself and that calls gnome_url_show or gnome_vfs_url_show. Those
functions need to do something if there is a default component. So they
pass the component IID and the url on to the component viewer that then
embeds the component in itself.

That way it is possible for a stand-alone app to just call url_show and
be sure that the file will be displayed as long as there is at least a
default component. If there is also a default application it will be
preferred over the component.

Am I making any sense here? The component viewer is needed for
standalone applications that want to show a url. Nautilus will only use
it if the user enables that setting in gconf.

> How about something like:
>
> First, strip out all leading white space.
>
> If the string begins with '~', '/' we autocomplete on filenames.
> If the string begins with 'http://', we autocomplete on past URI's.
> This can be extended to other URI's such as 'smb://', etc.
>
> Finally, if it's just a normal word, autocomplete first on the past
> history, then all commands, then finally files in the users home
> directory.
>
> Sound complicated enough?? (-:

Yeah I could try, but I am leaving in 4 days and wont have my own
computer for about 4 months. So I will just try to smooth out the
current patch and leave those features for later. ;)

Later,

- Frank