nautilus, gnome-vfs question

How can I make nautilus display a different name than the basename of a
URI for a file?  The code that handles .desktop files does this.

The reason I ask is that my human readable names in my gnome-vfs module
aren't guaranteed unique, but I want nautilus to show them rather than
the unique ones (which are unhelpful hexadecimal strings).

Right now I'm faking .desktop files but this doesn't seem entirely
satisfactory.  Essentially, I want folderish behaviour, but with the
ability to control the presented filename and icon as with .desktop
files.

thanks

-- Edd