Re: gnopernicus [Was: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left]

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 17:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> I've just had a good play with gnopernicus and gnome-speech, and LORD DO
> THEY ROCK when they're working together! However, I would love to pick
> your/billh's brains about screen reading "bugs" (reading useless info), and
> where they come from at some stage.

Yeah, we've been exploring some of these issues.  In general these bugs
are scattered along the vertical stack, some in the apps, some in GAIL,
some in gnopernicus itself.  And a few of them might be "features" from
a blind user perspective.  But this kind of shakedown is really very
valuable, thanks a lot!  I really look forward to more folks playing
with gnopernicus.

> One big disadvantage to gnopernicus right now: The UI is very unGNOMEish.
> This really ought to be resolved before it's added to the desktop release.
> It's a big-arse design issue though, not just a 'simple matter of bugs'...

I think we'll need a better bug description than "unGNOMEish" ;-)

Most of the gnopernicus UI isn't graphical really.  I guess you are
referring to the runtime/configuration stuff.  There are surely a few
bugs but I think gnopernicus largely adheres to the HIG, themes
properly, etc.  If we can identify the features that seem objectionable
_and_ the design decisions that led to them, they may be more readily
understood and accepted.  I suspect that some of the eccentricity is
actually appropriate, given what gnopernicus is intended to do.