Re: Proposal: Workrave

Andrew Sobala wrote:
It does involve some commitments. These are things like paying attention
to the usability and accessibility teams, and sticking to the freeze
policies when coming up to a release (at least on a branch if not on
head). If you want to propose Workrave, you would have to stick to
these.

Ofcourse, but that would not really scare us. For now, I think it is not really feasible as Workrave is written in C++ and is gtkmm based. From what I understand, gtkmm is not part of the main GNOME distribution, yet?

We would like to migrate if:
> [...]
This can be done; if you decide to migrate, talk it over with
bugmaster gnome org (this is a list with the bugzilla techs on it).

That sounds promising, thanks for the tip.

Do you agree with the following documents?

http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/

Fully. Although Workrave has had its HIG problems in the past, most of these have been resolved nowadays. We still appreciate any feedback in this area...

If the usability team suggested ways of keeping the functionality of
workrave usable while removing preferences for it, what would your
reaction be?

I would be in favor of dropping preferences whenever possible. In fact, I would love to get some usability feedback on Workrave.

Hmmm. If you like a thousand options, GNOME 2 is not for you ;-)

Workrave is not about thousands of options. Workrave is about covering functionality that aids in RSI prevention and recovery, and everything related to that. When comparing to DrWright, Workrave offers additional functionality, like network distribution, statistics, and soon exercises. Unfortunately, more functionality usually means that there is more to configure. One could argue that the statistics feature of Workrave only adds extra bloat. But, as a matter of fact, the statistics allow you to study your current work behaviour, learn from your mistakes, and improve your way of working.

Regards,
--
Raymond Penners -*- raymond dotsphinx com -*- http://www.dotsphinx.com