notification area for notification?

Hi,

I am interested in using the notification area in Rhythmbox, to show the
song title when playback starts.  However, I can't seem to get it to
work; I call egg_tray_icon_send_message, but nothing happens.

I looked at the notification area code a little bit, and it seems like
it should work.  I did notice though that main.c ignores the timeout
passed; why?

Does anyone know of any application that actually uses the notification
area for notification, and it works?