Re: Glade & HIG (Was: GNOME ABI review)

Hi

Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:

> Damon Chaplin <damon karuna uklinux net> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:20, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >
> > > anyway, and we should fix Glade to make HIG-compliance easier.
> >
> > Please let me know which widgets need fixing. Is it just the frames?
> >
> > I'll have a read through the HIG now but I may miss something.
>
> I think what we really need in glade to help with HIG compliance is the
> ability to put composite-widgets in the palette.  Being able to create a
> preference dialog or message dialog from a template would be really
> useful.

Well glade-3 (the next version + rewrite) sort of helps this purpose by
having the definition of properties for a particular widget defined in an
XML file (not the .glade file), rather than in C structs (like Glade 1 and 2
presently do).

So in the future libraries like libegg, eel, etc can have an XML file (called
obviously enough, a catalog) catalloging the various "widgets" it provides,
properties that are to be editable, install it in the predefined place, and
widget's from that library are available inside Glade.

There will have to be a way libglade reads the outputted .glade file, but thats
another matter right now.

Cheers!
Archit Baweja